August 8, 2023
Welcome to the First Edition of Tuesday Tips with CAS!
Each week we'll be covering topics suggested by you, to help the cycling community, written by cyclists for cyclists!
This week, we're diving deep into the world of bike love and care. Remember, when you treat your bike right, it becomes your trusty companion on the road, delivering memorable rides and unforgettable experiences! So, let's roll up our sleeves, grab our tools, and equip ourselves with essential knowledge to keep our bikes in top-notch condition.
Bike Maintenance 101:
Maintaining your bike is more than just a chore – it's a ritual of respect for your two-wheeled friend. Here are some must-know maintenance tips:
- Pumped-Up Tires for Smooth Cruising: Check your tire pressure regularly using a pressure gauge. Properly inflated tires provide a smoother ride, better traction, and help prevent flats. Check your tyres before every ride and always carry a handheld pump for those just in case emergencies.
- Chain Love: Regular Oiling : Your bike's chain is its heart and soul! Regularly lubricate it with bike-specific chain lubricant to keep it running smoothly and extend its lifespan.
Make sure to clean thoroughly with a degreaser before applying your chain oil;
Prepare the Area: It's a good idea to lay down some old newspapers or a plastic sheet to catch any dripping degreaser.
Shift to the Smallest Chainring and Cog: This provides the most slack in the chain, making it easier to access all parts of the chain.
Apply the Degreaser: Carefully apply the degreaser to the chain, focusing on the rollers and plates. You can either use an old toothbrush or a specific chain cleaning tool to help work the degreaser into the chain's nooks and crannies.
Let it Sit: Allow the degreaser to work on the chain for a few minutes. This gives it time to break down the grime.
Scrub the Chain: Use a brush or a chain cleaning tool to scrub the chain thoroughly. This will help dislodge the dirt and old lubricant.
Rinse Off: After scrubbing, rinse the chain with clean water to remove the degreaser and the loosened dirt. A hose or a bucket of water works well for this step.
Dry the Chain: Use a clean rag to dry the chain as much as possible. A dry chain is important before applying new lubricant.
Apply Lubricant: Once the chain is dry, apply a suitable bicycle chain lubricant. This helps reduce friction and protect the chain.
Wipe Off Excess: After applying the lubricant, wipe off any excess to prevent attracting dirt and grime.
Go through the gears : If you can lift your back tyre or you have a bike stand, go through all your gears to ensure lubrication throughout and check overall maintenance in all cogs.
- Bolt Tightening for Safe Adventures : Before each ride, give your bike a quick once-over. Tighten loose bolts to avoid surprises on the road and ensure a safe journey. It's always handy to keep a set of Allen keys to hand that you know fit many, if not all, bolts on your bike. - Check out the guys at Warsash Cycles for more expert maintenance and service advice. Simon's extensive knowledge on bike repairs and service experience is second to none when it comes to looking after your bike!
Gears: Your Fitness BFF :
Gears are your secret weapon for conquering various terrains with ease. Here's how to make the most of them:
- Climbing Strategy: Low Gears, High Efficiency : When tackling uphill climbs, shift to lower gears. This reduces the effort required, conserves energy, and helps you conquer those inclines without breaking a sweat. Remember; if you have one, make use of that front small cog!
- Descend with Confidence: High Gears and Speed : On the flip side, use higher gears for downhill descents or flat-out sprints. Embrace the wind in your face and feel the rush of speed! Be aware! Keep your eyes on the road ahead and be prepared to break or manoeuvre unexpectedly.
- Finding Your Perfect Gear : Gears aren't one-size-fits-all. Experiment with different gear combinations to find the ones that match your strength and riding style perfectly.
Fitness & Gears:
Cycling is not only about enjoying the scenery; it's also a fantastic workout. Here's how to sync your fitness journey with your gears:
- Warm-Up with Gentle Pedalling : Start your ride with easy pedalling to warm up your muscles and gradually increase your heart rate.
- Building Leg Power: Gradual Resistance Increase : As you become more comfortable, increase the resistance by shifting to higher gears. This engages your leg muscles more intensely, giving you a great lower-body workout.
- Shift Gears Like a Pro: Adapt to Your Pace : Don't hesitate to shift gears as needed. Let your bike adapt to your pace, making your ride more comfortable and efficient.
Join the Cycling Revolution! Let's Choose Cycling Together!
There you have it, fellow riders! With these valuable simple insights, you're armed with the knowledge to take your cycling journey to new heights. We want to hear from you! Found this useful, Drop a comment below... Share it with a friend!
Suggestions for our next Cycling Tuesday Tips? Your input fuels our mission to inspire and empower more individuals to choose cycling as a way of life.
Imagine a world where more of us opt for two wheels instead of four. It's not just about the ride; it's about embracing a healthier lifestyle, reducing our carbon footprint, and discovering the boundless joy of pedalling through life. Stay tuned for exciting news about CAS casual group ride outs across the UK, a testament to our commitment to enhancing cycling development and fostering a community of confident and safe cyclists. So, let's saddle up, share the love for cycling, and embark on a journey that goes beyond the road – a journey towards a better, greener future.
Let's #ChooseCycling and roll into a world of limitless adventures!
Embrace the Joy of Riding:
Remember, there's no such thing as a 'perfect' cyclist body. What matters most is the joy of riding and the continuous journey towards improvement. So, grab that bike, show it some love with proper maintenance, and hit the road with confidence! #FeelTheFreedom
Let's #ChooseCycling for a healthier and happier lifestyle!
#TuesdayTips #BikeLove #RideConfident